Verify that the father of a child born out of wedlock new textor out of a civil union is the child's legal father as follows:

  • Court Ordered Establishment of Paternity (Adjudication)
    • Adjudication of Paternity (Form 3148) centrally sent to the Family Community Resource Center by the Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE), shows the date paternity was established. File the form in Section #3 of the case record;
    • Key Information Delivery System (KIDS) shows the date paternity was established;
    • A copy of the court order establishing paternity, including the court docket number and the date (file in Section #3 of the case record); or
    • As a last resort, the Financial Recovery Coordinator (FRC) can contact DCSE to verify paternity.
  • Acknowledgment of Paternity in Court

    A copy of court documents showing where the father acknowledged paternity in open court. File a copy in Section #3 of the case record. 

  • Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity

    When Form 3416B is signed by both the mother and father and properly witnessed, paternity is established (see WAG 24-03-02-a). 

  • Legal Presumption of Paternity

    A legal presumption of paternity exists when it is verified that the alleged father married the child's natural mother after the child's birth and he is named as father on the child's birth certificate filed with the State Bureau of Vital Statistics (the official State record of birth). 

    If the client does not have a copy of the official birth certificate, request a copy as follows: 

    • For Downstate, send Verification of Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death (Form 97) to the Bureau of Vital Statistics; or
    • For Cook County, send Form 97 to the Special Projects Section, PPP/Verification Unit.

NOTE: A hospital certificate is not acceptable proof of legal presumption of paternity.