(Customer) Asks to file an appeal.
- (FCRC) Tell the customer how they can file the appeal.
- For cash (including child care) and medical, tell the customer they may file a written request by mail, fax, or in person, or they may call 1-800-435-0774 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. on Department workdays. Give the customer the FCRC address and fax number and the address, fax number, and email of the DHS Bureau of Assistance Hearings (BAH), 401 South Clinton, 6th Floor, Chicago, IL 60607; Fax: 312-793-0782 or 312-793-3387; or email email@example.com. For child care appeals, also provide the name and address of the appropriate CCR&R and Bureau of Child Care and Development (BCCD), 400 West Lawrence, 1st Floor, Springfield, IL 62762. Mail or give the customer a Notice of Appeal (Form 103). Assist in completing Form 103, if requested.
- For appeals involving only SNAP, complete Form 103 based on the customer's verbal request.
- (FCRC) Email or fax the customer's written statement of appeal or completed Form 103 to BAH within 2 workdays. When emailing the customer's written statement of appeal or Form 103 use the following email address, firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the envelope, or a copy of the envelope if sending to BAH via email or fax, if the request was received in the mail. If the request was faxed, include the fax transmittal sheet. Include the authorization form for appeals signed by a representative. Write SANCTION on TANF sanction appeals for expedited processing. Do not mail the customer's written statement of appeal or completed Form 103 to BAH.
Make copies for the case record. (Another Department office or agent that receives a customer's request for an appeal must also forward it to BAH within 2 workdays.)
- (BAH) Registers an appeal at the customer's request on the toll-free number. Sends FCRC information on all appeal requests received directly from a customer/representative by telephone, fax, or mail. Sends BCCD information on child care appeals. Forwards HFS appeals to HFS Fair Hearings Section.
- (FCRC) File copies of appeal request and envelope or fax transmittal sheet, when applicable, in case record. Contact other staff or agencies involved in the issue under appeal, as needed.
- (FCRC) Immediately determine if the customer is entitled to continued benefits during the appeal process and restore assistance, if appropriate, unless the customer states they do not want continued benefits. Do not continue child care benefits.