Make an immediate report of any suspected child abuse or neglect to the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS). This mandate applies to all staff who, while working, come into contact with a child.
Call DCFS when there is reason to believe, or information is received, that a child may be abused or neglected. This includes children in their own homes, in long term care settings, or in any other setting.
A report of suspected abuse and neglect can be made 24 hours a day by calling 1-800-252-2873. A written report must be mailed to DCFS within 48 hours of the verbal report.
When making a report of suspected child abuse or neglect, provide the following:
- name and address of the child;
- name and address of the parent(s) or other person(s) responsible for the child's welfare;
- child's age, sex, and race;
- nature of the child's condition, including any evidence of previous injuries, abuse or neglect to the child, or to other children in the child's immediate family;
- identity of the person(s) believed to have caused the abuse or neglect; and
- any other information which may be helpful in the investigation of the reported incidence of abuse or neglect.