Illinois' Interconnected Systems Model for School Mental Health
Tier 3: Intensive Interventions
Individual Student and Family Supports
- System Planning Team coordinates decision rules, referrals for this level of services and progress monitors.
- Individual team developed to support each student.
- Individual plans may have an array of interventions and services.
- System in place for each team to monitor student progress
- Plans can range from one to multiple domains.
Tier 2: Early Intervention
Coordinated Systems for Early Detection, Identification, and Response to Mental Health Concerns
- System Planning Team identified to coordinator referral, process, decision rules and progress monitor impact of interventions.
- Array of interventions/services available
- Communication system for staff, families, and the community.
- Early identification of students who may be at risk for mental health concerns due to specific risk factors.
- Skill-building at the individual and group level as well as support groups
- Staff and family training to support skill development across settings
Tier I: Universal/Prevention
Coordinated Systems, Data, Practices for Promoting Healthy Social and Emotional Development for ALL Students
- School Improvement team gives priority to Prevention and Promotion of Mental Wellness.
- Behavioral Health Skills development for students, staff, families and communities
- Safe & Caring learning Environments that reduce barriers to teaching and learning, and engages or re-engages students in the academic process.
- Partnerships between school, home, and the community
- Decision making framework used to guide and implement best practices that consider unique strengths and challenges of each school community.