The project centrally refers an overpayment to BOC for cases that received SNAP benefits for at least one month during the PAL C code quarter, and no earnings were budgeted for the reported quarter.

FCRC staff continue to be responsible for budgeting current income, adding ending employment codes, and canceling cases based on information provided by BOC.

Central Referral of PAL C Codes to BOC

Cases receiving SNAP with C codes in the following FCRCs are centrally referred to BOC if no earnings were budgeted for the earnings quarter:

  • Western
  • Belleville
  • Logan
  • Williamson
  • DuPage
  • South Suburban
  • Granite City, and
  • East Alton.

For each case referred to BOC, a message is printed on the PAL that states, CENTRAL OVERPAYMENT PROJECT - C CODE OVERPAYMENT WILL BE COMPLETED CENTRALLY. The FCRC remains responsible for reviewing and clearing all other C codes that do not have the project message. For those cases selected for the project, the system clears the C code.

NOTE: If FCRC staff know that a client stopped working, enter Item 80 code 651 EE. This prevents a case from being incorrectly selected for a C code. If staff know that a client selected on the PAL for the project has stopped working during the quarter, notify BOC of the stopped income by calling (217) 524-1339. The FCRC can use the same phone number to call BOC on any central overpayment related issue.

This process occurs once a quarter for the C code PAL months, February, May, August, and November.

Bureau of Collections (BOC) Notifies Client of Overpayment

For each case identified, BOC sends:

  • Form 2555DO, a letter that identifies all the employers the customer worked for during the quarter and asks the customer to submit proof of the earnings (copy attached) to BOC; and
  • A completed Form 266 (Request for Employment Verification) for each identified employer and return envelopes addressed to BOC.

The customer has 30 days to respond and provide proof of the earnings to BOC.

If the customer contacts BOC, they are told to return proof of their earnings in the envelopes provided by the date on Form 2555DO.

NOTE: If the customer contacts the FCRC in response to Form 2555DO, tell them to call BOC at the number on the form, (217) 524-1339.

Customer Provides Proof of Earnings

When a customer provides proof of their earnings, BOC:

  • calculates the SNAP and/or Cash overpayment based on actual income; and
  • notifies the customer of the overpayment; and
  • sends the FCRC a copy of the overpayment packet. If the customer's income is ongoing, the proof of earnings is sent to FCRC for budgeting.

Each Friday BOC e-mails the FCRC a list of cases that have cooperated, and follows up with a fax copy of earnings verification. The Friday e-mails also include information on when employment ended so staff can enter Item 80 code 651 EE, Ending Employment.

Customer Does Not Provide Proof of Earnings

If the customer does not provide proof of their earnings within 30 days, BOC:

  • calculates the monthly overpayment by dividing the amount of pay shown on the PAL by 3 months. BOC uses that monthly income amount along with other income and SNAP expense information from the CDB to determine the monthly overpayment for each month of the PAL quarter. For example, BOC divides the 01/10 through 03/10 PAL quarter pay by 3 to determine the monthly overpayment for 01/10, 02/10, and 03/10;
  • sends the customer a demand letter (Form 2555ES); and
  • notifies the FCRC via e-mail that the customer has not cooperated.

FCRC Action in Response to Non-Cooperation

The FCRC takes one of the following actions based on the case situation:

Category Action
00, 04, 06 Use TAR 57 or TAR 83 to cancel the case. A central notice is sent. With these TARs, 04 and 06 cases receive extended medical.
90 Use TAR 57 to cancel the case if the LMDD is more than 12 months or there are no persons under 19 in the case. If the LMDD is within 12 months and there are persons under 19 in the case, delete the adults. A central notice is sent.
01, 02, 03, 91, 92, 93 Use TAR 54 to cancel the case. A central notice of adverse action is sent. Prepare a local notice of adverse action for FS.
text deleted

If the customer files an appeal on the overpayment, the FCRC:

  • contacts BOC at (217) 524-1339, to request any needed copies of the overpayment information, and
  • handles the appeal in the usual manner.

The Bureau of Collections Field Consultants that serve the project FCRCs are available to answer any questions and provide assistance when needed.