Please Note: DHS reserves the right to deny CEs to persons arriving late or leaving early for training. Partial CE credit is not given for arriving late or leaving early.
The Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) is certified by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation to sponsor Continuing Education hours for the following professional licenses:
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist (LCP)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Licensed Nursing Home Administrator (LNHA)
- Licensed Occupational Therapist (OT) and Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA)
- Licensed Physical Therapist (PT) and Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Social Worker (LSW)
- Registered Nurse (RN), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) and Advanced Practice Nurse (APN)
- Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professionals (QIDPs) may apply continuing education hours sponsored by DDD toward their 12-hour, annual CE requirement.
- Educators may receive Continuing Professional Development Units (CPDUs) for completing a qualifying course.
- Other professionals may submit participation certificates or documentation to their licensing boards for possible approval. DDD can provide additional documentation upon request, but approval of DDD sponsored CE credit is not guaranteed by the licensing boards.
Continuing Education Requirements for Qualified QIDPs
QIDPs are required by DDD to obtain 12 hours of continuing education annually and then each fiscal year thereafter. Only 6 of the 12 hours can be earned inside the employing agency annually. However, all 12 hours may be earned outside the employing agency.
- Topics must be related to the developmental disabilities field, the work of QIDPs, or issues affecting the field of developmental disabilities or service provision and must be presented by persons qualified in the subject matter.
- College credit courses must relate to the field of developmental disabilities, work of QIDPs, or issues affecting the field of developmental disabilities or service provision. CE hours earned for college credit courses equal the credit hours earned for the course, not the time spent in class.
- See each Course Description or Webinar page for the credit hours awarded.
CEs Obtained Inside the Employing Agency
The limitation on the number of CEs that can be earned annually inside the employing agency ensures that QIDPs are exposed to wider perspectives in the field of developmental disabilities. These CEs can be earned by:
- Completion of DHS NetLearning Computer-Based Learning (CBL) modules.
- Reading qualifiying articles in Professional Journals or Books. Each article counts as only 1 hour of CE credit. A maximum of 3 hours of CE credit per fiscal year may be earned in this manner. To count as CE credit, agencies must ensure articles are:
- Educational and relevant to the role or responsibilities of QIDPs, providing services to people with developmental disabilities, or issues affecting the field of developmental disabilities or service provision.
- Authored by a qualified professional in the field or person(s) with documented education or experience in the subject matter.
- Documented as read and understood by the QIDP. To ensure this, agency's can document completion of the article by having the QIDP or other staff:
- Sign their name on an agency-developed form attesting that they read and understood the article. The form should record the author's name (including credentials), and date read.
- Take an agency-developed quiz covering the article's main points.
- Provide a written summary of the article.
CEs Obtained Outside the Employing Agency
Training outside the employing agency must be related to the field of developmental disabilities, work of a QIDP or issues affecting the field of developmental disabilities or service provision. Such training must be delivered by qualified persons that are generally not staff of the same agency as the QIDP. See exception: #3 below. Training outside the agency applies to qualifying topics that are presented by:
- Web, webinar, video, or audio presentations, non-agency or non-DHS NetLearning Computer Based Learning modules, or in-person participation at local conferences.
- Qualified non-agency persons invited to make in-person, audio, video or web conferencing presentations at the QIDP's agency.
- Qualified agency staff at any location where the audience includes staff from outside agencies or participants from a wide geographic area.
CE hours must be documented are based on the time it takes to complete presentations, published CE credit for CBLs, or announced by presenters at the end of a qualifying web, webinar, video, or audio presentation, or the published CE hours offered through an accredited institution of higher learning, or an approved or nationally recognized sponsor of CE credit for specific licenses or professions.
CEs for Presentations Not Pre-approved by DHS
To earn CEs for presentations not pre-approved by DHS, the agency must ensure presentations are:
- Relevant to the work of a QIDP or issues affecting the field of developmental disabilities or service provision to people with developmental disabilities.
- Of sufficient content to qualify as an educational presentation.
- Presented by a professional in the field of developmental disabilities, or mental retardation, or qualified in the subject matter of the presentation. Presenters must have:
- Sufficient documented education or experience to serve as a credible authority.Represent agencies or organizations with ties to the developmental
- disabilities system, programs, services, supports or advocacy network.
- Ensure the material is viewed by the QIDP or they attended the entire presentation.
- Documented by a certificate of participation issued by the presenter or participant's may sign an agency-developed sign-in/out sheet or form attesting that they participated in the entire presentation. Forms must include:
- start and end time
- trainee signature
Training Not Eligible for CE credit
DDD does not approve CE credit for the following types of training. These types of training do NOT count toward a QIDP's annual CE requirement:
- Training required as a condition of employment.
- Training required to recertify knowledge, skills or competency (e.g., CPR, First Aid, Mandt, OIG Rule 50 and biennial refreshers, etc.).
Certificates of Participation
- Certificates of Participation ARE awarded for DHS-sponsored training events when participants register through DHS NetLearning.
- Certificates of Participation are NOT awarded for DHS-sponsored training events when participants register through GoToMeeting/GoToWebinar or Elluminate web sites. See "Documenting CEs" below.
The agency must maintain documentation of CEs in the QIDP's personnel or training file, or in a location accessible for review by DDD.
- If attending in person, documentation may include a formal certificate of participation issued by the conference sponsor or information describing the topics covered in the presentation, the date and length of the presentation and presenter's credentials. This CE credit will NOT be added to your NetLearning transcript.
- If registered for DHS-sponsored training events through the NetLearning system, transcripts are available and may be printed from the myNetLearning system. For more details of how to use the myNetLearning System, or if you have questions about transcripts, contact Sandra Bancroft at 217-558-1511 or Bureau of Quality Management at 217-782-9438.
- If documenting the reading of a qualifying article, the QIDP needs to get an agency-developed verification form attesting that the QIDP read and understood the article. The verification form should record the author's name (including credentials), date the article was read and the QIDP's or staff person's signature.
- If completing Computer-Based Learning (CBL) modules on NetLearning, CE credits will be posted to the student's NetLearning transcript.
- If completing Computer-Based Learning (CBL) modules NOT on NetLearning, CE credits will NOT be posted to the student's NetLearning transcript. Documentation of completing these CBLs should include information describing the topics covered in the presentation, the date and length of the presentation and presenter's credentials.
- If participating in a GoToMeeting/GoToWebinar or Elluminate event, CE credit will NOT be posted to the NetLearning transcript. If CE credit is offered for these events, it will equate to the published length of the presentation, or will be announced by presenter at the end of the event based on its actual length. These CE credits will be rounded up to the next 15 minute (0.25 hour) increment.
The "Thank you for Attending" that is e-mailed to participants after the Webinar has ended can be used as documentation of your participation. Be sure to write in the announced length of the Webinar on the thank you e-mail as the length of the webinar will not appear in the e-mail. If several people viewed the webinar using the same computer, be sure to attach a sign-in sheet to the e-mail.
Note: If additional CE documentation is needed for attendees with professional licenses, the email sent to attendees after the webinar may be printed and saved, along with the webinar slide show. This documentation is not sent to DDD.
- For live or recorded audio, video, web or webinar presentations (e.g., GoToMeeting/GoToWebinar or Elluminate events), documentation is the QIDP's or other staff's) signature on an agency-developed sign-in/out sheet or form attesting that they viewed or listened to the entire presentation. These documentation forms must include:
- start and end time
- trainee signature