Guide to IDHS Services - IDHS 4474

Helping Families. Supporting Communities. Empowering Individuals.

State of Illinois
Department of Human Services


A TANF Funded Information & Referral Service

The Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) provides many services to help people in Illinois have better lives, including information and referrals to services provided by other agencies and community partners. Listed below are services available to meet your individual and family needs.

  • Medical Benefits
  • SNAP Benefits
  • Cash Assistance
  • Employment and Training Services
  • Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services
  • Domestic Violence Services
  • Mental Health Services
  • Services for Pregnant Women
  • Child Care Services
  • Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
  • Services for Teen Parents
  • Child Support
  • Services for People with Disabilities
  • Group Care - Nursing Homes
  • Services for Senior Citizens
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
  • Crisis Nursery
  • Food Pantries
  • Healthy Families Illinois
  • Homeless Services

How Can I Apply for Services?

You can apply for services by going to your local IDHS?office, or you can call the office and ask them to mail you an application. In some cases, you can apply for services over the phone or online.

To contact IDHS, visit our website at:

or call the automated Helpline for Information and Referral Services.

To find the address and phone number of your local IDHS?office, call:

1-800-843-6154 (Voice)

1-800-447-6404 (TTY)

Representatives are available between:

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  Monday - Friday (except state holidays)

For answers to your questions, please e-mail:

or write:

Illinois Department of Human Services

Bureau of Customer and Support Services

100 South Grand Avenue East, 2nd Floor

Springfield, Illinois 62762

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) policy, this institution prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the department.

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S.Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

You may also contact the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) at Illinois Department of Human Services, Bureau of Civil Affairs, 401 South Clinton St, 2nd Floor, Chicago, Illinois, 60607.

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the IDHS Helpline Number at (800) 843-6154 or (800) 447-6404 (TTY).

IDHS and USDA are equal opportunity providers and employers.

The State of Illinois provides reasonable accommodations according to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

DHS 4474 (R-10-15) Guide To Services  Printed by authority of the State of Illinois with funds from the TANF?Program  35,000 copies P.O. #16-0525