Bureau of Family Nutrition (BFN)
The Bureau of Family Nutrition provides nutrition information, education, assessment, surveillance, counseling and supplemental foods to reduce infant mortality and ensure proper growth and development of infants, through such programs as the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC).
Special Supplemental Nutrition Programs
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) - Provides supplemental food, nutrition counseling, and access to health services to low-income women, infants, and children.
- WIC Farmers' Market - Provides participants in the WIC Program with coupons to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables at local farmers' markets.
- Senior Farmers' Market Program - Helps eligible senior citizens obtain fresh fruit and vegetables at local farmers' markets.
- Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) - Provides supplemental foods and health service information to eligible individuals in Chicago, East St. Louis and select counties in southern Illinois.
- Promotes optimum nutrition for all Illinois citizens. Funded under the WIC program, Nutrition Services emphasizes consistent, quality nutrition services as an integral part of all DHS health programs.
If you have questions or need information about Family Nutrition and its programs, please contact our office.