Overview of Services
DHS wants to help you and your family live a healthy and independent life. Following are links to health information and services provided by DHS and other State Agencies.
- The State of Illinois Healthcare Portal a one-stop source for your healthcare needs.
- Parents can sign up their children for the state's affordable health insurance programs.
- Seniors can sign up for one of our affordable prescription drug programs.
- Women can find information on free breast and cervical cancer screenings.
- Medical Assistance Programs - While medical programs are administered through the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services, the public may apply for medical assistance at their Illinois Department of Human Services Local Office (Family Community Resource Center). You may use the DHS Office Locator to find the office where you should apply.
- All Kids offers Illinois' uninsured children comprehensive health care that includes doctor's visits, hospital stays, prescription drugs, vision care, dental care and medical devices like eyeglasses and asthma inhalers. All Kids On-line enrollment is available, or you can contact your local DHS Family Community Resource Center for more information.
- Early Intervention - Provides services for infants and toddlers under three years of age who may have or be at risk for a developmental delay.
- Family Case Management - Provides services for pregnant women, infants, and children with high-risk medical conditions.
- Family Planning - Confidential and voluntary services provide information about birth control methods or help in planning the number and spacing of children, if and when you decide to become pregnant.
- Healthy Child Care Illinois - Helps childcare providers to improve the health and well-being of children in their care.
- Newborn Hearing Screening - Information about an important program to identify early hearing loss in infants.
- School Health - Information for parents, nurses and others interested in keeping Illinois' school aged children healthy and ready to learn.
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) - Provides services to low income Women, Infants and Children through nutrition education, nutritious foods, and access to other health services.
- Migrant Head Start - A comprehensive program of health, parent involvement, and social services for preschool children of low-income migrant and seasonal farm workers.
- Refugee & Immigrant Services - can provide health services to low-income immigrants.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Health Benefits for Workers With Disabilities (HBWD) is Illinois' Medicaid Buy-In program authorized under the federal Ticket to Work - Work Incentives Improvement Act (TWWIIA).
- Illinois Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan (CHIP) - A State health insurance program for Illinois residents that are considered high risk.
Apply for Medical Assistance
More Information & Resources
Other State Agency Programs