Effective July 1, 2013, the School Health Program was transfered to the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Victoria Jackson, RN, MSN, IL/NCSN
School Health Program Administrator
Office of Women's Health
Illinois Department of Public Health
535 West Jefferson Street
Springfield, IL 62761
Eight Components of a Coordinated School Health Program are:
- Comprehensive Health Education
- Counseling, Psychological & Social Services
- Health Services
- Healthy/Safe Schools Environment
- Nutrition Services
- Parent/Community Involvement
- Physical Education
- Staff Health Promotion
What is a Coordinated School Health Program?
A Coordinated School Health Program (CSHP) is an effective system designed to connect health with education. This coordinated approach to school health improves students' health and their capacity to learn through the support of families, communities and schools working together through prevention and intervention.
- Prevention is the active, assertive process of creating conditions that promote well being.
- Health is the physical mental, social, emotional and spiritual well being of an individual and not just the absence of disease.
- CSHP Infrastructure is the basic system upon which a coordinated school program depends to continue and grow.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP)
- National Youth Risk Behavior Survey Data
- Division of Adolescent and School Health:
- Adolescent and School Health Program Funding Database
- Guidelines for School and Community Programs to Promote LIfelong Physical Activity Among Young People
- Increasing Physical Activity: Recommendations of the Task Force on Community Preventive Services
- Promoting Better Health for Young People Through Physical Activity and Sports
- School Health Index for Physical Activity and Healthy Eating: A Self-Assessment andPlanning Guide
- Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity:
- National Association for Sports and Physical Education (NASPE)
- Coaches' Code of Conduct
- Concepts of Physical Education: What Every Student Needs to Know
- Guidelines for School Intramural Programs
- Moving into the Future: National Standards for Physical Education
- National Standards for Beginning Physical Education Teachers
- Quality Coaches, Quality Sports: National Standards for Athletic Coaches
- Recess in Elementary School