State of Illinois
Department of Human Services

Your Civil Rights

No Discrimination...

No Harassment...

No Excuses

IDHS Cannot Take Any Of The Following Actions:

  • Deny you money, care, services or other benefits you are eligible to receive.
  • Provide other eligible people with money, care, services or other benefits that are different from yours or provide them in a different way from the way we provide them to you if you are eligible to receive them.
  • Treat you differently from other eligible people in the way you get your money, care, services or other benefits.
  • Prohibit you from having the same advantages or privileges as other eligible people who receive help from the Department of Human Services.
  • Treat you differently from other people in the way the Department of Human Services determines if you are eligible to receive money, care, services or other benefits.
  • Deny or offer to other eligible people an opportunity that is different from the opportunities offered to you (if you are eligible) through the Department of Human Services. This includes the opportunity to take part in education, job training, community work programs and the opportunity to receive a hearing.

What Can I Do If I Think I Have Been Discriminated Against?

If you feel that you have been discriminated against, you have the right to file a charge with the Bureau of Civil Affairs. A written complaint must be filed within 180 days of the alleged action:

  • Fill out a Customer/Applicant Discrimination Claim Form (IL444-4026), which can be obtained at your local DHS office, hospital, school or facility;
  • Send a written complaint to one of the following addresses:

Central Office/Chicago

 401 S. Clinton, 2nd Floor

 Chicago, IL 60607

 312-793-1862 (V) or 312-793-3628 (TTY)

Central Office/Springfield

 100 South Grand Avenue East

 Springfield, IL 62704

 217-524-7068 (V)

Under the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, you are protected against discrimination based on disability. You have the right to file a grievance and may obtain a copy of the grievance form, Americans With Disabilities Act/Section 504 Grievance Request (IL444-4715) to do so. Grievances must be submitted within 30 days of the alleged violation to:

DHS - ADA?Coordinator

Bureau of Accessibility and Safety Systems

 401 S. Clinton, 7th Floor

 Chicago, IL 60607

A determination will be made and written notification sent to you within 45 business days after receipt of the grievance. If you disagree with the decision, you may appeal to the Secretary of the Department within 10 business days after receipt of the determination.

What Happens After a Charge is Filed?

An EEO/AA Officer will review your complaint immediately to determine whether there is substantial evidence to support the charge. You will receive a written notification at the conclusion of the investigation. If you are not in agreement with the findings of the investigator, you may appeal directly to the Chief of the Bureau of Civil Affairs in writing at one of the above listed addresses. In addition, you may file a discrimination complaint with one of the following regulatory agencies:

Illinois Department of Human Rights

 100 W. Randolph St., Suite 10-100

 Chicago, IL 60601

 312-814-6200 (V) or 312-263-1579 (TTY)

 222 S. College St., 1st Floor

 Springfield, IL 62704

 217-785-5100 (V) or 217-263-5125 (TTY)

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

 500 W. Madison, Room 2800

 Chicago, IL 60661

 312-353-2713 (V) or 312-353-2421 (TTY)

United States Department of Health and Human Services

 Office of Civil Rights

 233 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 240

 Chicago, IL 60601

 312-886-2359 (V) or 312-353-5693 (TTY)

It is the policy of the Department of Human Services that all individuals requesting services from the Department shall be free from discrimination or harassment* without regard to:

  • Race
  • Color
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • National Origin
  • Age
  • Disability
  • Political Beliefs
SNAP Applicants and Participants:

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) policy, this institution prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the department. If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at You may also contact the Department of Human Services (DHS) at Department of Human Services, Bureau of Civil Affairs, 401 South Clinton St, 2nd Floor, Chicago, Illinois, 60607. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the DHS Helpline Number at 1-800-843-6154 or (800)447-6404 (TTY). DHS and USDA are equal opportunity providers and employers.

The Illinois Department of Human Services' Pledge

As part of our commitment to serve you, we will see to it that you:

  • Receive benefits for which you are eligible in a timely and uninterrupted manner.
  • Are treated fairly, with dignity, courtesy, and respect.
  • Have your questions answered in a way that you understand.
  • Receive referrals for agency supportive services and community resources.
  • Have your complaints and disagreements with agency actions or treatment reviewed and addressed.

For more information:

Call or visit your Illinois Department of Human Services office.

If you have questions about any Illinois

Department of Human Services (IDHS)?program, call or visit your local IDHS?office. We will answer your questions. If you do not know where your local office is or if you are unable to go there, you may call the automated helpline 24 hours a day at:


1-800-447-6404 (TTY)

You may speak to a representative between:

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Monday - Friday (except state holidays)

For answers to your questions, you may also write:

Illinois Department of Human Services

Bureau of Customer Support and Services

100 South Grand Avenue East, 2nd Floor

Springfield, Illinois 62762

Visit our website at:

Programs, activities and employment opportunities in the Illinois Department of Human Services are open and accessible to any individual or group without regard to age, sex, race, sexual orientation, disability, ethnic origin or religion. The department is an equal opportunity employer and provider; and practices affirmative action and reasonable accommodation programs.

DHS 592 (R-05-15) Your Civil Rights  Printed by the Authority of the State of Illinois.  1,200 copies P.O.# 15-1608