What is the purpose of this service?
The Client Assistance Program (CAP) helps people with disabilities receive quality services by advocating for their interests and helping them identify resources, understand procedures, resolve problems, and protect their rights in the rehabilitation process, employment, and home services.
Who can receive these services?
Individuals with a disability who want to receive or are receiving Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services or Home Services are eligible for CAP assistance.
CAP can help people obtain answers to questions and resolve issues with VR services, the Home Services Program, Centers for Independent Living, or community rehabilitation programs and workshops. CAP can also provide some guidance and advice on employment issues under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title I.
What services are offered?
- Assist individuals with problems they experience in seeking or receiving services.
- Try to resolve issues at the lowest possible level (such as the local office), using advocacy skills, dispute resolution, and negotiation.
- Assist or represent individuals in their appeals of decisions regarding services and, if necessary, represent them in court.
- Work with the department, community groups, and advocacy organizations to resolve system problems.
- Provide public education programs on the rights of individuals with disabilities and other related areas.
- Provide information and referral to related services.
How are services provided?
CAP provides services through advocates and attorneys located throughout Illinois. All CAP services are free and confidential.
For more information or to find the nearest CAP representative, contact:
Client Assistance Program
100 N 1st St, 1st Floor West
Springfield, IL 62702
Phone: (800) 641-3929 (Voice/TTY)
More facts about this program
CAP programs are operated nationwide under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Education, Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA). You can learn more about vocational rehabilitation and CAP by visiting RSA's web site.